Other Downloadable Files
List of other publications available as PDF
- In October 2009, Bill and Jan Whitney of Prairie Plains presented at the Land Trust Alliance Rally in Portland, Oregon. The title of their presentation was "Connecting People to Land through Educational Programming," and you can download a copy of their handout here!
- In October 2009, Bill Whitney of Prairie Plains and Kelly Kindscher from the University of Kansas - Kansas Biological Survey presented at the Land Trust Alliance Rally in Portland, Oregon. The title of their presentation was "Stewardship and Ecological Restoration," and you can download a copy of their handout here!
- The Platte Corridor Initiative was a watershed initiative based on social science principles. It stemmed from our conviction that long-term progress in solving environmental problems depends on social and cultural approaches rather than solely technical ones. The project involved listening to watershed residents, creating forums for inquiry and discussion and forming working groups of people willing to work on their resource issues. Underlying these efforts was the development of a vision for Platte Corridor sustainability - a populist, environmentally based vision integrating economic, ecological and social concerns. PCI began with assistance from an EPA grant in 1999. Download more history of the Platte Corridor Initiative here .
- Microcosm of the Platte, a Guide to Bader Memorial Park Natural Area is now available as a series of downloadable .pdf files. A classic Prairie Plains publication long out of print, Microcosm is the first natural history guide to the central Nebraska reach of the Platte River, complete with information about the river, wetlands, riparian forest and prairie, including flora, fauna and basic ecology. Although some of the information is now dated, it still contains a wealth of knowledge in an easy-to-read format. Microcosm of the Platte, A Guide to Bader Memorial Park Natural Area, parts 1 & 2 Microcosm of the Platte, A Guide to Bader Memorial Park Natural Area, part 3a Microcosm of the Platte, A Guide to Bader Memorial Park Natural Area, part 3b Microscosm of the Platte, A Guide to Bader Memorial Park Natural Area, part 4
- In 1997 Prairie Plains Executive Director Bill Whitney wrote two articles detailing the early history of prairie restoration on the Platte River. The articles were published by the University of Wisconsin Press in Volume 15, No. 1 & 2 of Ecological Restoration. With permission from University of Wisconsin Press, we are pleased to offer downloads of A Platte River Country Restoration, Part 1. Getting Started and Part 2. At Work on the Plains here.
- A Guide to Prairie and Wetland Restoration in Eastern Nebraska, part 1
- A Guide to Prairie and Wetland Restoration in Eastern Nebraska, part 2
- Prairie Plains Journal #16
1307 L Street
Aurora, NE 68818